Contains: Nightshades. Is: Quick and easy, gluten-free, vegetarian, paleo, Whole30.
This recipe is inspired by something found from Food and Wine, although I’ve changed the dressing. I also added cabbage, and diddled with concentrations.
The Inspiration Recipe is HERE.
I was originally planning to make this for my culinary group a couple months ago – we were going to meet in person but suddenly it turned into Zoom. But I could not find the hearts of palm, searching high and low through three supermarkets! I ordered what I have now, but too late for the Culinary Group, for which I made something else. (Theme had been “Hearts”, interpret any way you wanted.)
So, here we are – finally, Hearts of Palm, Cabbage and Avocado Salad! PS, the original salad dressing for this dish is here… It is a creamy avo-based vegan dressing.
Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: RAW!! (ie, no cooking!)
Rest Time: None.
Serves: 4-6. Scale up as needed.
Leftovers?: Avo goes brown fast, so not much time for that.
Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad
- Coarsely shredded cabbage as a base
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved Or 1 cup grape tomatoes, as is.
- 1/2 small sweet red onion, cut into thin slivers
- Two 14-ounce cans hearts of palm, drained and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- A sprinkling or more (to your taste) of coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and/or cilantro (coriander leaf)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra vrgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
In a medium bowl, toss the halved cherry tomatoes with the onion slivers, hearts of palm, & avocado. Place over the cabbage. Add cilantro or parsley as garnish. In a small bowl, mix the lime zest and lime juice with the mayonnaise and oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.