Contains: No major allergens. Is: Quick and easy, raw, vegetarian, vegan.
I have always preferred savory over sweet – this thick beverage is a feature of this. You really do need the cilantro/coriander leaf in this one, or otherwise the beverage will be on the blander side. You can adapt with just one half of a avocado, too.
(The initials etched on the glass are my Dad’s.)
Blood oranges – a red internal flesh – to me tastes more interesting than more regular oranges, but you can use the regular type if you can’t find blood oranges. And, don’t just juice – keep the pulp!
I like onion in my smoothies (as I don’t see smoothies or vegetable juices, for me, as being anything like a dessert, simply a different way of getting my veggie intake into me.
I do find that most commercial juices or smoothies overemphasize both too much sweetness and/or too much ginger for my own tastes. A little ginger is good – but a little more goes too far a long way!
Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: It’s RAAAAWW! Zero time.
Leftovers: Avocado browns too quickly.
Savory Avocado Smoothie with Blood Orange, Spinach, Scallion, Cilantro
- 1 blood orange (or other orange). Juice (include pulp, but remove any seeds) this.
- 0.5 – 1 Haas avocado, peeled, de-seeded, coarsely chopped.
- 2 scallions/green onions, roots removed, chopped.
- 1 goodly handful of fresh spinach.
- Fresh cilantro leaves, bring in more than you may think you will need.
- 1/4 teaspoon mild curry powder.
- A little fresh ginger is optional.
- Water, to the liquidity texture you prefer.
Add all to a container from which you can use an immersion blender. Otherwise, simply put in a regular but small blender and blend on “pulse”. Start with a little water; add more as you need to the thickness/viscosity you prefer to drink.
Pour, sip and enjoy.