Contains: Nightshades. Is: Gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30, quick and easy (or at least, very easy.)
There are days you just don’t want to make too much a bother in the kitchen. But you want something to eat for dinner, and for whatever reason or reasons you don’t want to go out. Or be bothered picking up take-out, which up here is a hike.
This was made for dinner the same day I made the more elaborate Vegetarian Moussaka that I’d had for brunch. (For logistical and blog-structural reasons this one has been posted later.)
Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes.
Rest Time: 2 or three minutes.
Leftovers?: Yes, but the chicken skin will have lost its crisp.
Baked Chicken Thigh with Scalloped Potato, and Canned Plum Tomato
The ingredients below serve ONE. Multiply by the number of people in your household.
- One very large chicken thigh, bone-in, skin on. (OR two small ones.)
- 1 medium sized Yukon gold potato, sliced into thin segments of 1/4 inch or less.
- 1 whole tomato from a canned whole tomato tin – sliced in half – plus about 1/4 cup of juice from said can.
- Juice from 1/4 lemon or 1/2 lime.
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, either mild Hungarian, or spicy/smoky. Your preference. I’ve also discovered cumin works just as well if you lack paprika.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve more, just multiply.
Pre-heat oven to 375 F / 190 C.
In a baking pan, place the thigh(s), and layer the potato slices alongside. Add the tomato and juice over the potatoes. Squeeze the lemon/lime over the chicken. Dust everything with the paprika or cumin, and with the ground pepper. Scatter the nutmeg and salt over the potatoes.
Bake a large thigh for 40-45 minutes. Smaller thighs can stop at 30-35 minutes.
Turn the oven on to BROIL for 2-3 more minutes, just enough to crisp up the chicken skin.
Serve and enjoy.
Visit the following parties:
Fiesta Friday with Mollie @ Frugal Hausfrau
What’s for Dinner? Sunday Link Up
Funny, I just did scalloped potatoes, too! Chicken looks delish! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday this week.