2015 was a good and promising year in the food exploration department.
This is the 50th post for the year — I’m not including any actual recipes today, but just a tying up of 2015, and some photos for meals I never got a chance to write-up (or simply didn’t take sufficient notes for, or are just not ready for prime time — such as the below).
And some links to meals that were memorable this past year:
I discovered two new (to me) foods:
- Callaloo (a Jamaican steamed green in the amaranth family)
- Cucamelon (a small fruit related to the cucumber, which is great in salads)
I discovered a new cooking technique:
- Using the rice cooker for things other than rice. Namely, Quinoa.
I got adventurous in the Korean and the Tex-Mex cuisine arenas.
- Korean gimbap (seaweed-wrapped rice rolls)
- Korean Grilled Scallops – Garibi Gui
- Tex Mex fish and/or vegetarian tacos in lettuce shells
- Arrachera Tex Mex beef
And, I tried my hand for the very first time on stuffed squid, which I simply LOVE!
Other landmarks of the year:
- February onwards: at least two blog posts per month.
- April: broke ground on my future home in Massachusetts
- June: first ever trip to Martha’s Vineyard, staying nearly a week and enjoying some GREAT food and company.
- July: first great-nephew arrived into the world on Bastille Day (great way to remember the date, too!) His name is Charl, he’s a red-head like his mother and my brother, and I hope to go to Florida this spring to meet him, finally. Had hoped to do so over New Years, but read on…
- July: after 11 years and 183 thousand miles on my Subaru Forester, I traded it in for a used (pardon, “pre-owned”) Hyundai Santa Fe with 22,000 miles on it.
- October: fell and broke my tibia in the ankle region at the end of the month. I’m still out on worker’s comp.
- December: Managed to join some friends nearby for a fantastic Christmas dinner that couldn’t be beat.
- December: Started working from home. Yesterday. However, this here is my break… (and besides the system there seems to be having difficulties)
WordPress has sent me info on my year in review as far as WordPress is concerned.
My most popular posts:
- Pork Chops with Apple & Onion – Simple! November 2013
- Arctic Char (yet again). Pan-fried with Crispy Skin. July 2014
- Pan Fried Blackfish (Tautog) October 2014
- Mushroom Soup: No Flour, No Cream, Yes Butter December 2011
- Roast Stuffed Goat Heart May 2012
Most popular posts I put up this year:
- BaconWrapped Pork Chops
- Slow Cooked Osso Buco-Style Pork Hock
- Vegetarian Okra with Tomato, Mushroom and Onion – Indian
This blog has had visitors from 127 countries this year. The Recipe Index and the Dining Out pages were started this year. Only three Dining Out additions were blogged about this year, and no desserts.
Have a Great New Year, everyone!!!
I’ll be asleep before the ball drops. Even if I weren’t on crutches, I’m far less likely to go out on New Year’s Eve these years than in my younger days. Restaurants serve limited and overpriced selections, and the ambiance yells “CROWD”. I used to go to parties held at homes, but there are few of those locally nowadays. Not really missing that, even if they were fun back in the day.
Last Whine, 2015: Wente – Louis Mel Sauvignon Blanc.