I missed a week at my farmers’ markets, any of them, because I went camping instead. However, last weekend I finally returned, hitting two of them along the way to a day trip in Massachusetts. When I had time to take a photo on Sunday, the weather was glum and wet, and, well, I rather like tossing the gains down into the one or two remaining patches of grass in my lawn, and snapping the shot.
This photo was not taken until Tuesday evening, and so is not a full depiction of what I garnered. Some I’d already et, and some I just didn’t bring back out.
Missing are the large bundle of field tomatoes, the dozen eggs, the garlic, and the large yellow cucumber. The large yellow cuke was half-gone by then, as were a few of the eggs, and I simply didn’t remember the other ingredients, and dark was encroaching. Note also that the plums and the cherry heirloom tomatoes which did make it to the photo are severely decimated from their original population size. (I am given to understand that this tomato goes by the name of Red Zebra. You can differentiate them from the plums by the smaller size — and when you bite in, by lack of pit. This is indeed important as I bought both from the same vendor, and had her put them all in the same bag.) And yes, I’d gotten the squash blossoms that day.
But what I really want to call your attention to is the okra. Notice that some of it is green, as per normal, and many are a purplish-brown. Except for the really long one, I canned all those last night, into half-pint jars. I used the same recipe as previous, but included a bit of serrano and jalapeno.
Interestingly, the vinegar water turned a light shade of the purple from the okra, but not all the color was bleached out of the veggies.
I lost one jar when I dropped it while removing it from the hot water bath. One pint jar of some regular pickling cukes that were also being put up failed to seal — that one’s in the fridge.
How to make: 3.75 cups vinegar to 3.75 cups water plus 6 tablespoons pickling salt — I used this mix on both the okra and the cukes, and added into each jar fresh dill weed, one or two (depending on size) crushed garlic cloves, heaping quarter teaspoon mustard seeds for the half pint size. I didn’t add hot peppers to the cukes (other than to the one jar that ended up not sealing.) Leave 1/2 inch head room. Let boil for 10 minutes in the water bath.
Linked up at the Homestead Blog Hop, go visit!